Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Language

I've been thinking a lot recently about language. I've always been good at it. Despite having no previous knowledge of Spanish, I was always the person other students would flock to in middle school for help. It came naturally.

Before my trip to France last year I learned some very basic French, common phrases and words that I thought I might encounter. I loved the sound of the language and was certain I would take it in high school. So I did. French One was a delightful class, for most of my best friends were in there, but it was simply too easy. I learned the whole textbook, which comprised French One and Two, in only the first semester. For the rest of the year I coasted. Then I had to decide about sophomore year.

When I registered for sophomore year, initially I had no idea what to take. I debated between French Two and Three, knowing Two would be child's play, but not wishing to leave my friends behind. I compromised and did French Two, deciding I'd study outside of school levels three and four. I still had one open class period, though. The answer came out of one of the most random things my friends and I have ever done.

Two of my friends and I play a peculiar game. I speak French well, and one of them is entirely fluent in German. The third of us supplies creativity and invents the most preposterous phrases. The first time we played this game, she merely asked the other to translate, "I want to ride a llama into the sunset with a pineapple on my back while eating pickles," into German. He obliged. I loved the way the words looked on the page, with the umlauts and capital letters. It was lovely. I decided I wanted to learn German.

Now I am learning French and German at school, as well as doing external study on both. I skipped the first level of German to keep up with my friends in that class, and I do still find it simple. I love the languages, and know that I want to use them for the rest of my life. I've been looking at colleges with programs in both (not altogether a large amount), and wish to become fluent.

If anyone who might read this post speaks either of these languages, please speak to me in one of them! I need the practice and love to speak them.

Love,

Elizabeth Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment